1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD or HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware & Software' started by pottymouth, Nov 3, 2017.

1. pottymouth

pottymouth TGS Stalker TGS Member

guys I need help I'm currently building my PC and all in need is my hard drive I can buy a 120gb SSD for around £50 or a 1tb HDD for about £40, was planning on getting a small SSD for the OS (and drivers) and a HDD for software but looking at the price difference I'm not sure anymore. Is the price difference worth it, will it impact performance?

2. JackkRepublicc

JackkRepublicc TGS Friendly TGS Member

If you're on a budget, I'd go with the HDD and then add an SSD later when you can afford it. Installing the OS on an SSD will make it a hell of a lot faster but you get very little space on them.

3. FuryBlade

FuryBlade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Most hard drives are pretty quick now days not ssd quick but quick enough so I would say get a hd ssd later

4. pottymouth

pottymouth TGS Stalker TGS Member

thanks guys

5. LetemcomeInit

LetemcomeInit TGS Stalker TGS Casual

I was looking into almost exactly the same thing the other day, for exporting I wanted something to speed up the process and was looking at an SSD but space is also quite a priority and to get the same kind of 1T as the current HDD you're looking at a fair whack in price. So if you need speed over space at the moment an in budget SSD looked right but I'd echo what Fury said and go with saving for one, probably what I'm thinking myself at the moment!